Wednesday, March 01, 2006

Waiting to read

I love to read. I've been a voracious reader from oh I don't know grade 1 ? grade 2 ? I remember telling the teacher that I didn't do my reading homework because who needs to read it more than once. I then had the "pleasure" of listening to classmates who struggled with every second word read, oh the torture that turned out to be. I just couldn't understand as a 6 year old why they couldn't read the story correctly. Every. Word. A. Complete. Sentence. ARRRRRRRRRGGH.

Now today, I have access to the internet, it tells me what books my local bookstore have (should have) in stock, I can join author boards, I can read on-line reviews, I can make fun of books, I can get those wonderful, oh so very wonderful recommendations of books that perhaps I *gasp* might not have heard about and might not have *gulp* read.

I have a TBR (to be read) pile, I have a TBB (to be bought) list I have a book database that I fully intend to update one of these days if I can manage to start cataloguing without starting reading the first, second or third book I pick up. The library is one of my nearest and dearest friends where I can put books on hold, request books and way back when I didn't have a computer I could even go on line there.

Books can be an expensive habit/addiction, and now with this new "reader friendly" format (which is just shite) the book I could have gotten for $9.99 - $10.99 has jumped to $13.99 - $15.99 for a softcover paperback. I've become strict with my book budget money and I've resolved to not get any of those new reader friendly format books....I fully expect to cave of course when a book I actually want to read arrives so bound.

There are at least 4 books I'm waiting for right now (hopes for normal sized paperbacks) JR Wards "Lover Eternal" a novel of the black dagger brotherhood, vamp and the second in a series, the hero's names are over the top HA funny with Rhage (hee there's a h in rage), Zhadist and assorted other abused names but they are well written, with a good sense of humour and come on...I just like the vamps.

Next is Angela Knight's "Master of Wolves", again part of a series, he's a werewolf who can shapeshift into a large dog and is working with the police as a K9.... AK's writing is NC17...no pretty little descriptive words for her...just like sex with sue everything is given it's proper name...

Melanie Jacksons "The Saint", errr part of a series (I seem to have a problem), where the fey live side by side with the "normal" people and the bad guys are goblins...no really goblins. How do you say no to a goblin storyline..well obviously I don't know.

Kelley Armstrong's "Broken" back to Elena, the only female werewolf in existence and a mystery from years past, in London no less, it's Jack the Ripper (I think) there will be time travel and all sorts of mayhem and I can't wait !!!

Oh and Charlaine Harris, Susan Sizemore, the latest JD Robb, Nora Roberts newest trilogy (because there is always a new trilogy), Jim Butcher, Simon Green, Fiona Brand (please start writing like you used to), Kresley Cole, plus many many more.

Anyway I'd better run to check chapters online to see if any of the above are in yet...

No comments: